Sunday, April 8, 2012

Totaled

I feel like I talk a lot about perspective in this blog. I got a little help this weekend remembering what is really worth while. While I try desperately to keep up with kids, housework, church, and school my husband works really hard to support us. He has a full time job and a part time job on the week-ends.

Friday night, as he traveled to work, a seventeen year old boy pulled out in front of Jeff.  Jeff had seen him stopped at the stop sign and then didn't think any more of him .... at least not until the impact.  Both cars were totaled, both guys walked away. As I drove that night to pick him up from the sight of the accident a thousand what ifs crossed my mind.  What if it had been worse..... What if I had to do everything without him

 Once in a while I complain. I complain about his schedules, the way he spends his free time, yadda, yadda, yadda. I just complain. When I got to the scene of the accident and saw the shape of his Jeep, I decided that maybe I should practice appreciating more than I practice complaining. Here are some things I appreciate about my sweetheart:

-He's generous. Have I mentioned my brother is living in our basement. He gives of himself in so many ways. He volunteers to  teach hunter-education for the state of Colorado. He volunteers for the CBA and edits the bi-monthly magazine. He supports my crazy life and schedule, and holds me when it starts to overwhelm me.

-He works really hard. When he was in college he worked full time and studied full time. He works two jobs to support us. He always has, and I have no doubt that he always will.

-He irons his own shirts. What this really means is that I don't have to.

-He takes the morning drive almost every day so I can sleep in after staying up way to late to study or to just veg. How grateful I am. If I had to get up and stay up every day at five am I'd be a basket case. Those extra hours of sleep make all the difference.

I'm a proponent of recognizing what you have, but events like this can't help but remind me even more poignantly that what we have could be taken from us at any time. A car, we'll replace that. Replacing the love of my life would be asking the impossible. I'm glad he's safe.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad he's safe. That's always a scary call to get. Thanks for reminding me how grateful I am for my hubby! :)

    ReplyDelete